How do I (Patient) register to participate in the program?

A patient must be assessed by a bona fide registered MMP physician who will certify if the patient has an approved debilitating medical condition to participate in the NJ MMP. The physician must complete an Attending Physician Statement for each individual patient. Upon submission of the statement a unique Patient Reference Number will be produced. The physician will need to provide the patient with this Reference Number along with a copy of the attending physician statement. The patient or their designee will go to http://njmmp.nj.gov and complete the following steps to complete the online registration process:

      • Select "Patient Registration" on the left side of the screen of the MMP registry page and carefully read the page of instructions before continuing in the registry.
      • Enter all required information as noted by a "red asterisk".
        - The Patient Reference Number must be included; this is the number that was provided by the physician.
        - Select "Submit" and the Patient Registration page will appear.
          • Complete all required information on the Patient Registration page
            - If applicable, enter primary caregiver information.
            Note:  If you need or require a caregiver, please review the caregiver portion of the FAQ’s
            - Read and acknowledge the Patient Certification
              • Check the appropriate box indicating that the terms have been understood.
              • "Save and Continue".
              • Patients will now be required to upload scanned photographs and documents.

              What if I do not have the ability to access or utilize a scanner?

              If you cannot convert documents to digital format, there are entities such as your local library equipped to assist you in preparing your documents so they may be uploaded into our system.

              Is there a fee to register?

              Yes. The fee for patients and caregivers is $200 each. Patients and caregivers who qualify for the below listed state and federal assistant programs, will be eligible to pay a fee of $20 each; registration period is valid for 2 years.

                          • NJ Medicaid Program
                          • Current Food Stamp Benefits Card
                          • NJ temporary disability insurance benefits
                          • Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI)
                          • Social Security Disability Benefits (SSD)

                       How do I pay my registration fee?

                      Once you have received your confirmation email stating your registration fee has been set, you will return to the registry at, njmmp.nj.gov, and select the option on the left hand side that says ‘Payment’.  You will then have to enter your information including reference number and submit.  Follow the instructions to proceed with your payment.

                      What are the fee requirements for legal guardians and minor patients?

                      Designation as a legal guardian for a qualified minor patient exempts you from the application fee. The required fee for a qualified minor patient is $200; however, if the legal guardian or minor patient can provide proof of enrollment in one of the approved government assistance programs, the minor patient may qualify for the twenty ($20.00) dollar reduced application fee.

                      Will my application be confidential?

                      A Patient’s application will only be available to your registered physician, the NJMMP staff, and ATC personnel.

                      What debilitating medical conditions are approved by the program?

                      A physician must certify that a patient has an approved debilitating medical condition to participate in the Medicinal Marijuana Program. Approved debilitating medical conditions include:

                                  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
                                  • Multiple sclerosis
                                  • Terminal cancer
                                  • Muscular dystrophy
                                  • Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease
                                  • Terminal illness, if the physician has determined a prognosis of less than 12 months of life.

                              The following conditions apply, if resistant to, or if the patient is intolerant to, conventional therapy:

                                          • Seizure disorder, including epilepsy
                                          • Intractable skeletal muscular spasticity
                                          • Glaucoma
                                          • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

                                      The following conditions apply, if severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or vomiting, cachexia or wasting syndrome results from the condition or treatment thereof:

                                                  • Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus
                                                  • Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
                                                  • Cancer

                                              I’m under the age of 18 and have a listed debilitating disease. Can I register?

                                              Patients under the age of 18 that suffer from an approved debilitating medical condition are considered minor patients and may register  with the New  Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program (MMP).  Minor patients are required to have a legal custodian assume responsibility as their caregiver until they are 18 years of age; at which time the patient will need to re-register as an adult.  The patient’s approved MMP physician is required by the Department of Health to fill out a minor attestation.  This requires written confirmation from a psychiatrist and from a physician trained in the care of pediatric patients.

                                              What is a bona fide physician-patient relationship?

                                              A bona fide relationship is defined as: a relationship in which the physician has ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care and treatment of a patient’s debilitating medical condition whereby:

                                                          • The physician-patient relationship has existed for at least one year; or
                                                          • The physician has seen and/or assessed the patient for the debilitating medical condition on at least four visits; or
                                                          • The physician assumes responsibility for providing management and care of the patient’s debilitating medical condition after conducting a comprehensive medical history and physical examination, including a personal review of the patient’s medical record maintained by other treating physicians reflecting the patient’s reaction and response to conventional medical therapies.

                                                      I possess a medicinal marijuana patient card from another state; may I use it in NJ to obtain medicinal marijuana?

                                                      No, to be eligible for the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana program you must:

                                                                  • Maintain a bona fide relationship with a New Jersey physician who is registered and approved by the MMP and,
                                                                  • Be certified with a debilitating medical condition by the approved NJ physician and,
                                                                  • Be a New Jersey resident.

                                                              It is too difficult for me to travel. Can someone help me get medicinal marijuana?

                                                              Yes. A qualified patient can designate a primary caregiver who must register with the NJ Medicinal Marijuana Program. Your caregiver can assist you with the procedures necessary to obtain your medicinal marijuana from a selected Alternative Treatment Center.  If someone is only driving you to the Alternative Treatment Center and does not need to assist you inside, it is not necessary to sign up a caregiver.

                                                              Is medicinal marijuana covered by Medicaid or any other health plans?

                                                              No, medicinal marijuana is not a covered service under Medicaid or any other health plans in the State of New Jersey.

                                                              Where will a qualifying patient be able to smoke medical marijuana?

                                                              The Department notes that smoking medicinal marijuana falls within the definition of "smoking" as set forth in the Smoke Free Air Act at N.J.S.A. 26:3D-57, and is therefore subject to the provisions of the Smoke Free Air Act.

                                                              Patients may not,

                                                                          • Operate, navigate, or be in control of any vehicle, aircraft, railroad train, or stationary heavy equipment vessel while under the influence of marijuana.

                                                                      Patients may not smoke medicinal marijuana,

                                                                                  • On a school bus or public form of transportation.
                                                                                  • In a private vehicle unless the vehicle is not in operation.
                                                                                  • On any school grounds, in any correctional facility, at any public park or beach, at any recreation center.
                                                                                  • Any area pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:33-13.

                                                                              How much medicinal marijuana can I get approved for?

                                                                              Medical marijuana will be packaged in 1/4 ounce denominations. The patient’s physician will determine the proper dosage; however, the maximum amount allowed by law is 2 ounces in a 30 day period.

                                                                              Can I switch my Alternative Treatment Center?

                                                                              Yes. You may switch to any operational ATC online at any time.  In order to successfully switch to your ATC of choice,  you must return to http:// njmmp.nj.gov, and select the option ‘Change ATC/View ATC Visits’  You will then enter your active patient ID number located on your ID card or  you can enter your information as on your attending physician statement.

                                                                              Do I have to be registered with a specific ATC to purchase medicinal marijuana or can I go to any ATC provided I’m an approved MMP cardholder.

                                                                              You must be registered with a specific ATC to purchase your medicinal marijuana.  An ATC will not be able to see your information in the system if you are not registered with them.

                                                                              If my ID card is lost, stolen, or is damaged what do I do and is there a fee to replace the card?

                                                                              If a registered patient or registered primary caregiver becomes aware of the theft, loss or destruction of his or her registry ID card, he or she shall notify the MMP within 24 hours after the discovery of the occurrence of the theft, loss, or destruction. The fee to apply for issuance of an ID card replacement is $10.00. If you receive government assistance, and it was verified and approved upon registration, you will qualify for a fee of $5.00.

                                                                              If I add a caregiver after registering with the MMP, do I need to get a new ID card?

                                                                              Yes. To add a caregiver after you have already been approved for the program, you will visit http://njmmp.nj.gov/ and select “Patient Registration”. You must return your original MMP ID card to us by certified mail, because you will be issued a new card with your caregiver information on it. Once the caregiver is approved, they will be required to pay the registration fee of $200 or $20, if eligible for government assistance. Your caregiver’s effective period will begin upon their approval date and expire with the patient’s listed expiration date, regardless of the two year period.

                                                                              When my 30, 60, or 90 day certification for medicinal marijuana expires, do I have to re-register with the program?

                                                                              No. Patient registration is valid for 2 years. However, upon expiration of your 30, 60, or 90 day certification, your physician must re-assess your condition and determine whether to continue your authorized use of medicinal marijuana for an additional 30, 60, or 90 day period. The physician will be required to log into the registry and update your physician statement.

                                                                              If my 30, 60, or 90 day certification is expired, will I be able to purchase medicinal marijuana?

                                                                              No.  A patient must have a current certification in order to make an appointment or purchase medicinal marijuana at their Alternative Treatment Center.

                                                                              What should I tell my employer if I am subjected to a drug test?

                                                                              A qualifying patient, primary caregiver, alternative treatment center, physician, or any other person acting in accordance with the provisions of act N.J.S.2C:35-18 shall not be subject to any civil or administrative penalty, or denied any right or privilege, including, but not limited to, civil penalty or disciplinary action by a professional licensing board, related to the medical use of marijuana as authorized under this act.

                                                                              The Program recommends that a patient be familiarized with act N.J.S.2C:35-18 and refers to legal consultation for the applicability concerning this matter.