Alternative Treatment Centers

Compassionate Care Foundation, Inc.100 Century Drive
Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
(609) 277-7547
OperationalView Map
Greenleaf Compassion Center395 Bloomfield Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973) 337-5670
OperationalView Map
Garden State Dispensary950 U.S. Highway 1 North
Woodbridge, NJ 07095
(848) 999-2005
OperationalView Map
Breakwater Alternative Treatment Center2 Corporate Drive
Cranbury, NJ 08512
(732) 703-7300
OperationalView Map
Foundation HarmonyLocation Pending
(201) 840-5800
Operations Pending
Curaleaf NJ111 Coolidge Avenue
Bellmawr, NJ 08031
(856) 933-8700
OperationalView Map

General Information

For ATCs - Personal History Disclosure Form/Permitting Request Form

The Department--in consultation with the Attorney General's Office--developed two screening tools designed to create an efficient and effective oversight model for ATCs that are applying to the Department for permits to grow and dispense medicinal marijuana. The Compassionate Use of Medicinal Marijuana Act authorizes the Department to verify the information contained in the application to obtain an ATC permit and to ensure effective documentation of the operations of each ATC prior to the issuance of the permit. In addition, the Department will subsequently monitor, oversee, and investigate all activities concerning each ATC seeking to operate in New Jersey.

The Permitting Request Form and the Personal History Disclosure Form 1 and 2 will be used by the Department to review any changes from the original application, as well as collect and consider relevant information from the ATCs and related entities and conduct background checks of owners, directors, officers and employees of the ATCs.


Change My Alternative Treatment Center

Patients can choose any ATC regardless of where they live. There is no cost to change your ATC registration and it does not require a new identification card, but patients can only be registered with one ATC at a time.

It is very important patients verify that your 30-60-90 day certification period, approved by your physician, is current and up to date. Expiration dates can be found on your profile by selecting the option to view 30-60-90 certification or by contacting your MMP approved physician.

If you choose to register with a new ATC you must follow these instructions:

  • Go to
  • Select ‘Change ATC’
  • Enter the information used to register along with your reference number (this is not case sensitive)
  • Click the drop down box and select the ATC of your choice
  • Click Save
  • If successfully completed the following message will appear in red:
    “Your record was successfully updated with new ATC information.”

Any questions relating to the new ATC can be directed to the ATC’s customer service department or by visiting their website.

What is the definition of an Alternative Treatment Center (ATC)?

"Alternative Treatment Center" or "ATC" means the permitted alternative treatment center authorized to grow and provide registered qualifying patients with medicinal marijuana and related paraphernalia in accordance with the provisions of the Act. This term shall include the organization’s officers, directors, board members, and employees.

Does an ATC have to have local zoning approval?

The Medicinal Marijuana program rules require ATCs to provide the Department with written verification of a municipal government body in which the ATC will be located. As with other facilities the Department licenses, it is the responsibility of the ATC to work with the local governing body in the municipality they are seeking to locate. Evidence of compliance with local codes and ordinances is also required prior to issuance of a permit.

Will the State do background checks on ATC staff as part for the overall permitting process?

Yes. Fingerprinting and criminal history background checks are required of every owner, director, officer and employee of an ATC.

How do I start my own ATC?

At this time, the state is not accepting applications to open additional Alternative Treatment Centers (ATC). On January 17, 2011, the Department of Health (Department) released a Request for Application soliciting parties interested in establishing ATCs under the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act. On March 21, 2011, the Department announced the selection of six ATC applicants to move forward in the permitting process. These entities are, Greenleaf Compassion Center, Foundation Harmony, Breakwater ATC, Compassionate Care Center of America Foundation, Inc., doing business as Garden State Dispensary, Compassionate Science ATC, Inc. and Compassionate Care Foundation, Inc.  Once the initial six are open, the state will evaluate the program and determine whether or not there is a need for expansion. If there is a determination to add ATCs, the Department will publicize the expansion and provide the criteria and process for application. Examples of the examination forms utilized by the existing six ATCs can be found on the Medicinal Marijuana website.

How can I get a job with an ATC?

Contact ATCs directly to inquire about employment opportunities.

Can dispensaries deliver?

Alternative Treatment Centers are not permitted to deliver medicinal marijuana.

Can I just walk into an ATC without an appointment if I am an approved patient with a card?

Contact your assigned ATC to inquire if they accept walk-ins.  You must have an active MMP Identification Card from the NJ Department of Health in order to enter any alternative treatment Center.

Will I be allowed in the ATC if I forgot my card, but I have an appointment?

No.  A patient/caregiver must have their MMP card to be allowed in the ATC.

Is there a limit to the amount of medicinal marijuana I can purchase from an ATC?

The patient’s approved MMP physician will determine the proper dosage; however, the maximum amount allowed by law is 2 ounce in a 30 day period.

Who can pick up the medicinal marijuana?

Only patients and caregivers are allowed into an ATC to pick up the medicinal marijuana and they must have an ID card from the MMP.